Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Reading Notes: Europa's Fairy Book, Reading B


 
(Swan feather. Web Source: Flickr.)  

Notes. In the Swan Maidens, I cannot believe that the six eldest sisters would leave the youngest at the pond to fend for herself. They should stay together. Aside from this, the shoes of swiftness and the invisible cap are interesting items. I could add this to another story. But the thing that doesn’t make sense is why the hunter’s wife returned home. It may be because he needed to show his love through going through troubles, but I am not sure. Perhaps I may write what she was thinking.

In Androcles and the Lion, I could continue their story. Androcles and the Lion was set free, but did they stay together? I can write about their adventures together after freedom. They may even meet with other characters.

Johnnie and Grizzle was a bit like Hansel and Gretel except there were pebbles, and the parents wanted to leave them in the forest. It was messed up that the parents wanted to leave them there because they didn’t want them to die in front of them. However, it does not justify their actions to leave the children in the forest. I may have to write a piece of karma for the parents. Later on, the father gave them bread. This is where it starts to get similar with Hansel and Gretel.

I have only heard bits and pieces of Hansel and Gretel, so I was glad the Johnnie and Grizzle got a happy ending. Perhaps now, I may not need to write an unfortunate ending for the parents because they went to find them in the forest. Yet, this all could have been avoided unless having the children really caused them financial struggles.

It was so sad in Thumbkin that all the boys died except one. He turned out to be quite useful and living. I wonder how all those beans turned into boys. It would be interesting to add siblings for Thumbkin. Thumbkin went quite on an adventure. Several of these stories are about an adventure. It was very strange for him to still be alive in the stomach. It must have been traumatic. I could add his character in another story.

Bibliography. Europa's Fairy Book by Joseph Jacobs; link to reading online.

No comments:

Post a Comment