Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Reading Notes: Folklore of Laos, Reading B

(Laos Rice Fields: Wiki Commons)

Notes. I like the two jewels and what it does. I think it is magical to have items that can grant things or actions. It was unfortunate that the man was ungrateful to the wizard’s help. Fortunately, the wizard did not die, but the man should have kept his words.

In the Legend of Rice, I would love rice to roll to me when they’re ready. Perhaps, they could even plant themselves, and people would just wait for them to do everything. Yet, I just noticed that they are basically committing suicide.

I read a few stories that included food being stored in bamboo sticks. I have heard of that before. I may use it for my story if can fit in my story. Some people, back then, even stored food in banana leaves.

It was messed up how the main characters in The Fortunes of Ai Powlo and One Woman got away with so many bad deeds. The Fortunes of Ai Powlo was quite cynical and dark.

In To Aid a Beast, I liked how the snake came to his aid when he thought of the snake. It is unbelievable, but it is something that I would like to happen. Aside from this, I like how they fulfilled their debts of gratitude.

In The Boys Who Were Not Appreciated, I felt very sorry for the kids. If I were to write about this, I would go in to depth about the conversation where the mother talks to the stepfather about neglecting the children. In the end, she agreed to kick the kids out. However, I would write the story and make it so the mother would at least have some compassion for the children that she carried for nine months. I just don’t know how parents could do that to their children. I’m not saying that she should neglect her new husband, but there should be some moderation.

Bibliography. Folklore of Laos by by Katherine Neville Fleeson; link to reading online.

No comments:

Post a Comment